Saturday, January 3, 2015

my five faves - 2014 layouts

I've been organizing the layouts I completed in 2014 and adding journalling so I can put them in albums. Looking through them, I can't say this has been a banner year for my scrapbooking projects -- I didn't take enough classes; I didn't complete enough layouts; and I can't say I pushed myself enough creatively.

Some years are like that.

Before you think 2014 was a bad scrapbooking year for me, I should say that there have been many scrapbooking get togethers with so many laughs and inspirations and creativity. That's the stuff that makes me love scrapbooking.

And, of course, there were layouts. In 2013, I gave myself a challenge to only work on single page layouts to push me out of my comfort zone. I was very productive and completed a ton of outstanding pages. Last year, I returned to the double LOs I love so much and I was surprised to see how challenging it was to go back to my beloved two-page format. I also snuck in a few one-pagers from time to time. :-)

I love all of my completed layout and there are quite a few that stand out. I managed to pick five that I think reflect my scrapbooking year. These layouts have a simplicity to them but they allowed me to play with wonderful techniques and collections.

1. Fussy cutting
When I saw this layout with hexagon shapes, I immediately thought of the flowers in Bo Bunny's Alora collection. They needed to be fussy cut. Now, it's no secret that fussy cutting and I are not the best of friends. When I feel the urge, I take a deep breath and cut until I'm done. But the fussy cutting is always worth it. The flowers in this layout are no exception!
Paper: Alora (Bo Bunny); Cardstock: Close to My Heart; Washi Tape: unknown; Letters: unknown; Inspiration: Ann Costen (Basic Grey)
2. The unexpected 
The Story of Us by Simple Stories is a wedding collection. The colours in this collection, especially the gold, worked beautifully for pictures of my daughter's first communion. I love finding paper that matches my theme and pictures, especially when the collection is intended for something completely different. Love the circles in this one.
Paper & Stickers: The Story of Us (Simple Stories); Cardstock: Close to My Heart; Letters: unknown; Inspiration: Scrapbook Generation
3. A new favourite 
Sometimes a collection comes along that's just perfect. Simple Stories DIY Boutique with its bold colours and touches of black is fast becoming my all-time favourite collection. It's perfect for my 8-year old daughter who still loves to dress in bright pink and purple, but also loves wearing black from time to time. I took some great pictures of daddy's breakfast in bed on Father's Day. The resulting layout has clean lines, pennants and a bit of spray and is one of my all-time favourites.
Paper, Bling, Brads, Buttons and Die Cuts: DIY Boutique (Simple Stories); Cardstock: Close to My Heart; Letters: unknown;  Spray: Party Pink Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels); Inspiration: Susan Stringfellow (Basic Grey)
4. The unscrappable photos
My daughter came back from a Beavers meeting with amazing face painting. All the boys got super heroes, but when it came to Ellie, the artist got a little creative. I took a few snaps, printed the photos and never scrapbooked them. I couldn't find the right paper so I kept putting these photos aside. I picked up Prima's Stationer's Desk because I loved the deep red in that collection and it was perfect for these (almost) unscrappable photos. I added modelling paste, which was coloured with sprays, to add some interest. I also thought the paper need some shine and the silver Tinsel Color Shine spray added a whitish coat to the paper. I'm really happy with the result and the fact that I got a chance to finally scrapbook these photos!
Paper and flowers: Stationer's Desk (Prima); Sprays: Tinsel Color Shine (Heidi Swapp), Black Marble (Dylusions) & Black Magic Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels); Stencil: Tattered Angels; Modelling Paste: Golden; Inspiration: unknown
5. Embracing white space  
I have many talented scrapbooking friends whose styles vary wildly. One of them, scrapbooks with fresh colours and clean lines which highlights her photos. She also uses lots of white space -- which is often white. Eek! She manages to combine patterned papers in the most brilliant way. These photos of our kids at the park inspired me to scraplift her techniques. I also made my own enamel dots out of pearler beads :-)
Paper: American Crafts; Sticker: Sunny Spot (Dear Lizzy + American Crafts); Cardstock: Close to My Heart; Letters: Prima; Enamel Dots: homemade; Inspiration: PageMaps
I must apologize for the lack of layouts of my son. So here's a bonus LO using the same sketch as above. Love!
Paper, letters, sticker: Ad Lib (Bo Bunny); Distress Ink: Tumbled Glass (Tim Holtz); Enamel Dots: homemade; Inspiration: PageMaps
I hope you enjoyed these layouts as much as I enjoyed creating them. I would like to wish you all the very best for 2015. Here's to many creative moments!

Cheers,

1 comments: