Thursday, January 9, 2014

my process

We all have a different way of putting a layout together. I definitely have a process and thought it might be interesting to write it down and share it with you. 

I start with pictures. Sometimes, there's a moment that I want to capture and scrap, like my daughter doing her homework or my son cuddling with his new cat. Sometimes, I want to capture an outing or an event. My son is almost 11 now (Wow! Where did the time go?) and there are fewer events to capture and fewer moments when he wants to have his picture taken. I was pretty lucky to join him and his Cub Pack to visit a Royal Canadian Navy ship, the HMCS Ville de Québec.

I took 63 pictures.
Obviously, not all of these pictures are winners! I wanted to do a two-page layout and managed to pick only eight photos. I like photos where the subject is looking at the camera. I know it looks a little posed, but these are my favourite. Here are the photos I want to scrapbook.
The next step for me is to find inspiration. The first part of this is finding a sketch or layout that will accommodate my pictures. I picked this May 2011 PageMaps. It's a little frilly, but I can change the journaling box and the die-cut on the left to look a little more masculine.
Source: May 2011 PageMap
I thought the wonderful Twig collection from Little Yellow Bicycle would be perfect for this layout, but I don't have enough of it. So I'll be using the equally wonderful Portfolio collection from Pink Paislee.
Photo credit: Pink Paislee
I added grey cardstock which looked a little plain so I jazzed it up with modelling paste and sprays. The thing with sprays is that you never know what you'll get! I dabbed a bronze spray on the modelling paste, added blotches of silver spray and dripped some black spray to fill in some of that white space. 

The paper from the Portfolio collection reminded me of doilies until I glued it down with my photos. Then, it reminded me of gears so I added some embellishments from Prima/Finnabair's Mechanicals collection and wood gears from Bo Bunny that I sprayed with the same bronze spray I used on the modelling paste.

I love letter stickers, but the bare chipboard ones from America Crafts are my all-time favourite. I dabbed these with black soot distress stain, which gave them a faded black/charcoal look. Distress Stains are also my new favourite to ink the edges of my paper.

Here is the final result. The photo doesn't show all of the spraying I did to fill in that white space. You'll have to trust me that this one looks awesome!

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment