Sunday, January 26, 2014

my five faves -- why i scrapbook

It must be the season to reflect on our work and hobbies. A friend recently asked herself why she bothered with scrapbooking.

I can understand the question. I don't think everyone understands how much fun it is. Plus, I'm sure they think it's very uncool.

That doesn't phase me much. As a sci fi fan, I'm used to the blank stares followed quickly by the I-have-to-run-away looks whenever I speak geek. I've learned to figure out who can stand to hear my excitement and see my face light up when I talk of all the "uncool" things that I'm passionate about. That includes scrapbooking.

Here are the five reasons I scrapbook.

1. Leaving a legacy
This is it right here.
I scrapbook for you.
2. Having a creative outlet
I have vivid memories of my grandfather Eric taking out his photo albums and telling great stories about each photo. I loved every minute of it. And I credit him for giving me the storytelling bug and a love of photography.

At my grandfather's funeral, it dawned on me that scrapbooking has allowed me to combine these two passions. He was also an artist and I may have inherited a bit of his artistic bend.
These projects continue to surprise and delight me.
3. Savouring the zen
There aren't many pictures of me scrapbooking. I think it's because I take most of the pictures! And because I'm often in the moment. You know it -- that moment where you get so absorbed by your project that you forget what's going on around you.

There's something very unique about working with your hands -- it's very soothing for the mind. There's something very powerful about revisiting happy moments -- it's very energizing for the heart. And there's something very satisfying about creating -- it's very beautiful  for the soul.

4. Enjoying the me time
Busy moms understand how hard it is to make time for yourself. It's hard to put yourself first. Scrapbooking gives me that little bit of time and energy and focus to work on something that makes me happy. Bonus: my kids see my passion, love all of my layouts and, sometimes, they get to join in the creative fun.
My space when it used to be clean....

5. Connecting with other women
There comes a time in everyone's life when university friends move away, you cocoon with your husband and babies, and your circle of friends becomes smaller. It's hard to make friends outside of work. Scrapbooking has allowed me to meet like-minded women of various ages and backgrounds. I've made so many great friends through this hobby not to mention the connections with the scrapbooking community at crops, retreats, classes, Twitter and Facebook.
A few of my favourite scrappy peeps.
I'm proud to say I'm a scrapbooker. I'm proud to share my passion for this hobby with those who'll listen. And I'm proud of the end results.

Have a great week!

1 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed your blogs Natalie, they're always an entertaining and informative read.

    ReplyDelete