Friday, February 8, 2013

my five faves - scrapbooking retreat

I spent last weekend at the Sweet Sentiments Winter Retreat in beautiful Prince Edward County. Retreats are wonderful and I got to do some amazing scrapbooking.

Here are the five things I loved about the scrapbooking retreat.

1. Getting away from it all

Prince Edward County is about a four-hour drive from Ottawa. That's close enough to drive to, but far away to really say that I'm away from the hustle & bustle of my life. I missed my kids terribly, but sometimes you just need to get away.
Lake effect snow or proof that we were at a winter retreat.
2. Time for scrapbooking

I don't know about you, but I'm finding it hard to find time to sit at my craft table or at the dining room table (my scrap crap has spread a little) and actually scrapbook. Having a whole weekend dedicated to doing what I love is truly a gift. So much creativity was also a little bit exhausting.
My space at the beginning of the weekend when I had a lot of space and things were relatively organized.
3. Friends

I love scrapbooking with my friends and I was pretty lucky to spend the weekend with Kiki, Sarah and Diane (Kat and Sylvie were MIA). I tend to scrapbook more when I'm around a good group of people. And, at this retreat, the group -- divas and new friends -- was great. Lots of energy and laughter and support equals tons of great scrapbooking. The people always make a party and, for me, the energy of others energizes me. Thank you my pretties!
Kiki (The Zany Diva), Sarah (The Kickass Diva), Diane (The Crazy Good Diva) and me
4. Laura and her Sweet Team

Laura is the owner of Sweet Sentiments in Belleville. Her and her Sweet Team (love the name!) organized the winter retreat. The room was big and we each had a ton of space to crop, the lighting was perfect, and the food was divine. It's a lot of work to organize anything, let alone a scrapbooking retreat for more than 30 amazing scrapbookers! Laura did an amazing job taking care of all of the details that make a retreat seem like a gateway. Plus, she's so sweet. Now, how do I convince her to move her store to Ottawa?
Me, a disembodied hand and Laura
 5. My favouirte layout

I finished, or semi-finished, 3 one-page layouts and 5 doubles. I love them all. I really believe that I did some amazing work last weekend due to the people and location.

This layout of my daughter, Ellie, at the Granby Zoo, is my favourite because I went out of my comfort zone and used many busy patterned papers. I hope you like it.
Patterned papers: Vintage Chic (Heidi Swapp) and London Market (Pink Paislee)
Flowers: Prima
Distress Ink: Antique Linen (Tim Holtz)
Buttons: Lost and Found (My Mind's Eye) & Vintage Finds (Teresa Collins)
Letters: Corrugated Kraft Alphas (Jillibean Soup)
Twine: Follow your Heart (My Mind's Eye)
Washi tape: from my stash
Inspiration: April 2010 PageMaps
Wishing that creativity finds its way into your life this week!

1 comments: