Friday, January 4, 2013

my five faves -- 2012 projects

2012 was a great year! I went to a few crops, a few retreats and took some great classes with the amazing Cari Fennell, Anna Dabrowska, Kelly Goree and Kelly Purkey. I completed a ton of great layouts. I'm even art journaling!

Here are my favourite projects from 2012.

1. Art Journaling with Anna Dabrowska

Last summer, I took a class with the great Anna Dabrowska aka Finnabair to learn more about art journaling. This is like learning to drive with Chris Hadfield....to the International Space Station! Anna Dabrowska is so talented and creative and I walked away from that class with a ton of new techniques and with more creative confidence. I made this page at the end of the day-long class. I love the movement and colour and fun on this page that perfectly reflects how my son and I were feeling when I snapped this picture.

2. The 2012 Summer Challenge

 My friend Diane, aka The Crazy Good Diva, started a summer challenge where we made a number of scrapbooking pages to win a prize we bought for ourselves. I ended up making 59 pages and gave myself the Big Bite. This is my favourite layout of the bunch.

3. White on White

I'm sure you can imagine how much work it was to complete 59 pages during the summer. Sometimes, I had no inspiration. Sometimes, I'd just slap a layout together pretty quickly. This is what happened with this layout of Ellie eating watermelon. I had great pictures and the title came to me the second I captured this moment, but I had no idea what papers or embellishments to use. I went for a super simple design and decided to add white embellishments on white cardstock. Love the end result!

4. Texture

Cari Fennell introduced me to the world of modelling paste. I used it to alter paper.

I then coloured the raised image with distress ink and added one million flowers and a couple of hearts to create this layout. Interesting how one little technique changes everything.

5. Adding Myself

My scrapbooking is all about my kids. I've tried to add myself to family pictures, which is hard to do when you take all the pictures and like to hide behind the camera.

Mini albums and art journals are helping me tell my story. I took a great mixed media class with the Cari Fennell in the Fall who guided me with her usual awesomeness and helped me find my creative self. I actually like this photo of me and I love that there are Pan Pastels, gelatos, stamping, and some paint all one on page.

I can't even imagine what 2013 will hold. I hope that it will be filled with love, friends, divas, and creative delights.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post - great recap of the year of your scrapbooking creating! Way to go - you girls "divas" actually motivated me last year to finish an album - so no pressure but here is hoping that you can do the same this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great scrapping year you had! The classes you took and the techniques you learned look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete