Monday, September 3, 2012

my 5 must haves

I read this great post by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer who had to use 5 items on a layout. I thought it was interested that her items said a lot about her scrapbooking.

Not sure if I could do this challenge, but I thought it would be interesting to think of my five must haves when doing a layout.

1. Photos

For me, scrapbooking is all about the photos, which is why I like to use bigger photos and multiples on a layout. I can also see myself getting into something like Project Life. I shoot tons of pictures, but only use what I think are the best (sometimes it takes more than one layout to scrap an event because I feel I have a lot of  "best" pictures).

2. Words

I love big titles. I love clever titles. I love titles that sum up the moment perfectly. I also love journalling -- mostly by hand, but sometimes digitally. Pictures say a thousand words, but my words give them context and feeling and a bit of myself.
 
3. Bold Bright Colours

What can I say? I am drawn to fun colours and combinations of colours like a moth to a flame. I really can't help it. And if you haven't noticed by now, I really love purple. ;-)

4. Inks, Sprays, Mists and Paint
It started with Tim Holtz' Distress Inks and moved to Stickles, Glimmer Mists, Glimmer Glams, Luminarte powders and acrylic glazes, Adirondack's spray, Maya Road Mists, and is now onto Dylusions. My love of ink continues to grow! I probably use inks in a more subtle way than most, but I love how edging paper in ink gives a layout some uniformity and a bit of dimension. Love to colour chipboard and flowers. And I really love the little big of glimmer and bling I get from of the inks/sprays/mists/paints/glazes/etc. I can't imagine finishing a layout without a little bit of spray or a dab of ink.

5. Buttons or Flowers
These are my go-to embellishments. I love the dimension these two embellishments give a layout. I love using buttons for the center of flowers.

All five of my must haves are on all of these layouts! Funny how that happened...

I would love to hear about your must-haves. It will most definitely drive me to try one of your techniques, tools, items or colours!

Thanks for dropping by!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm drawn to bright colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have CLOUDS!!! :) Loving these layouts, chickie!!!!

    ReplyDelete