Saturday, June 16, 2012

prima album with cari fennell

Today is my wedding anniversary. Eleven years ago I said "yes!" to a wonderful guy. In that time, we've had two kids, bought a house, and each of us has lost a parent to cancer. In some ways, I'm amazed that we are still so in love after all of these years and that we still love to laugh and that we still have so much to talk about. In other ways, I'm not a bit surprised.

It's no secret that my favourite subject to scrapbook is my kids. They are a great source of inspiration. Plus, layouts of my kids mean I get to use a "playful" style of scrapbooking full of bright colours and fun embellishments. The divas often scold me for not scrapbooking layouts of me or of them... ;-)

When I signed up for a class with Cari Fennell, one of Prima's educators, on May 5th aka National Scrapbook Day, I knew that I wanted to make an album of photos of my husband and I. Since I take most of the photos, there aren't that many pictures of the both us!

The class was wonderful. Cari is totally awesome (check out her great blog called Me and My Mary Janes). It was also Sarah's birthday (The Kickass Diva). And I got to hang with the divas and Emma at her store Auntie Em's.

I also learned some great techniques and, at the end of the day, I created a beautiful album that I love. Best of all, my husband loves it too.

This is a long post, but I think you'll enjoy some of the pictures -- one dates from 1996!

We started by misting the canvas cover, which had a resist pattern to it. We blended Apple, Pink Cadillac and Black Magic Glimmer Mist. I loved the layering and ended up adding the title "love", which seemed kinda appropriate. ;-)

Cari's cover & my cover

For the inside cover, we used a sepia transparency which ages photos. I thought this was a photo of our wedding day would be perfect here. I also loved the idea of stamping an image on patterned paper and cutting that image.
Cari's inside cover & Bliss
For the first page, we blended Pan Pastels onto a canvas page. I really enjoyed blended these and the look was very soft and beautiful. I'm not sure how I could use these on a layout, but I'm sure I can find a way! The picture I added is of Chris and I at the 4th Orleans Scouts Farewell Feast held just a few weeks ago.
Cari's page & "Happy"
More Pan Pastels, stamping and Apple Glimmer Mist on the leaves. I don't remember when this picture was taken, but it had to be before we got married.
Cari's page & "Love is Cool"
For this page, we inserted mesh into a page protector. Neat idea! The picture was taken at an Ottawa 67s game in 2001.
Cari's page & "Young Love"

Here we used packaging to create a tag. Don't you love this picture of Chris and I? It was taken at a Zellers employee event in April 1996.
Cari's page & "so happy"

I loved using an enveloppe as a background on this page. I could have inserted a note or some journalling, but kept it as it. Picture was taken on July 1, 2006 a month after our daughter Ellie was born.
Cari's page & "Joy"
Another nice page of Chris and I on December 24, 2011.
Cari's page & "cherished moments"
Here we used Pan Pastels on paper, which was a little less time consuming than the canvas. We also painted our stamps, but I'm not crazy about the messy look. I used Prima flowers from my stash at home and added a picture of Chris and I at a wedding in July 2000.
Cari's page & "Together"
We played with more mists and masks, but my mask was wet and covered my page more than I wanted. No worries! I added the sprig of pink flowers from my own Prima stash and a photo of us on New Year's Eve 1998 when my hair was long and curly.
Cari's page & "Cozy"
The mask on this page worked much better! Love this picture of us on New Year's Eve 2000.
Cari's page & "Good Times"
 More misting on this page of us in July 2011.
Cari's page & "Beach Babes"

More misting and masking on canvas. I also used some bling from my Prima stash for this page of Chris and I in 2001.
Cari's page & "Cat Love"

Love the pink on this page of us at a party this year.
Cari's page & "Love is Awesome"

More misting on the back cover. This page was screaming for a photo and I plan to put another wedding picture here.
Cari's cover & mine
I had so much fun making this album! And now it's tempting to make another mini-album!!





1 comments:

  1. Natalie, what can I say other than I love it! It's beautiful. I'm so happy you actually scrapbooked something other than your kids. I'm sure Chris appreciates all the effort and love you put in this. BTW, he looks 12 on some of the photos!!!

    Now, get cracking on scrapbooking me...I MEAN the divas...yeah...that's what I meant...;)

    ReplyDelete