Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the second time around is twice as nice

You may remember that last Fall we had some water damage in our basement. I lost photos and cards given to me by my friends Lisa and Diane. I also lost three layouts.

My husband and I decided to reorganize my scrap space as he repaired the walls. This took a few weeks and I couldn't even get to my scrapbooking supplies let alone scrapbook. Something a little strange happened at this time: I was avoiding scrapbooking. I blamed the reorg, but honestly I felt a little nervous about getting back to it.

This is what I blogged at the time:
We renovated, bought a new desk to scrap and a shelf to store my flowers, buttons and mists. It's beautiful. One little problem though: I haven't scrapbooked yet. Everything's ready, except for me.
I don't know why I'm nervous about scrapbooking again. When I think of scrapbooking, I feel overwhelmed.
I started slowly and then went full steam ahead. But It's taken me all of this time to find the courage to redo those three layouts I lost. I thought I would approach this with a heavy heart because it would remind of almost losing something I was so passionate about. I also never redo layouts -- once it's on paper, I'm totally comitted to it. I put off redoing the three layouts and then decided to just go for it. This is my new motto this week. And guess what? I really enjoyed the process. Plus, I created some great layouts!

LAYOUT 1 ORIGINAL: FOREVER DADDY'S GIRL
I loved this layout. Chris and Ellie look so cute here! I used the Beach Babe collection from Fancy Pants. Loved the transparency and the pop of orange. I also glammed the buterflies and added Glimmer Glam to the distressed edges of the pink cardstock. The effect was pretty neat. I centred my composition on blue cardstock to tie in with the transparency and my husband 'cause I didn't want him to feel left out. LOL! But I didn't love that blue. I also wasn't crazy about the way the title came out.

LAYOUT 1 REDO: LOVE THIS (formerly FOREVER DADDY'S GIRL)
I opted for a dark pink background and a second transparency. I added flowers instead of butterflies that I misted with three different Glimmer Mists to get the right colour. I could add more flowers, but I've decided to embrace the white space! I changed the title too.

I have to say that I like the redo better. The pink background gives the layout intensity, which is balanced by the white space. The blue transparency offers just enough blue for my husband. ;-) I edged the patterned paper in my favourite Tim Holtz Distress Ink -- ripe persimmon -- to add a little bit more orange.


LAYOUT 2 ORIGINAL: SUNSHINE SWEETIE
I so loved this layout. I started tearing up last Fall when I picked it up and it was sopping wet.

I hadn't done a one-page layout in a long time. This is really my favourite kind of layout with a horizontal band composition and a series of three similar photos. I also hadn't used a series like this in a long time. The pictures were just so cute and I couldn't help but smile everytime I looked at this layout.

I also tried to tie in this layout with "Forever Daddy's Girl" using the same Fancy Pants collection and Glimmer Glam on the distressed edges of the patterned papers.

I loved EVERYTHING about this layout.

LAYOUT 2 REDO: SUNSHINE SWEETIE
I loved the original so much, I really didn't want to change anything. But I didn't have any chipboard flowers left and I didn't want to use Glimmer Glam on the distressed edges.

I used Fancy Pants letters to make the title stand out more. I'm also in a Prima kind of mood these days and wanted to use three big pink Prima flowers on this layout. I also had this beautiful paper garland from My Mind's Eye that I thought would be perfect.

Little changes yielded a better layout, I think.

LAYOUT 3 ORIGINAL: SPLASH
This layout never worked for me. I used a sketch from PageMaps, but my cardstocks and patterned papers just could not do it justice. I used Bo Bunny's Barefoot & Bliss collection -- I couldn't get enough of the entire collection and bought it at least three times for my summer layouts. But even Bo Bunny couldn't save this layout. ;-)

LAYOUT 3 REDO: SPLASHING CUTIE (FORMERLY SPLASH)
I decided to ditch the sketch and simplify the design of my layout. I clustered blue buttons and Bo Bunny brads and bling around two great big blue Prima flowers. I love the redo much much much better than the original.

I love scrapbooking and I should have known that redoing these three layouts would as fun as making them the first time. The bonus: making three layouts that I love more than the originals.

Happy scrapping!



1 comments:

  1. Wow you did a wonderful job!!! And I love the signature at the end! ;p Sheyla

    ReplyDelete