Friday, April 6, 2012

trying my hand at vintage

If I were to define my scrapbooking style, I would say it's playful. 'Cause a girl like me just wants to have fun. ;-)

In all seriousness, I find this style with its bright colours and sense of fun is perfect for my layouts, which are all about my kids.

Problem is this style is not in style. I stick with this style because it's so me and I end up loving all of my scrapbooking projects. But it's not always easy running in a different direction than the bandwagon.

This week, I had a bit of existential scrapbooking crisis and tried my hand at vintage for a layout of our visit to the Lang Pioneer Village near Peterborough.

When I think of vintage, I think of neutrals, embellishments, ephemera and distressing. I didn't quite achieve the vintage look and, surprise!, I ended up with something closer to my style. This layout is little cleaner than the vintage layouts I've seen and I added some bright blue to the flowers to match Ellie's shirt. I needed some colour in there!

I first took Bo Bunny's cardstock, which was a mushroom colour and inked it with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo. This is a good 'before & after' of the cardstock.
In the end, there is no crisis -- just scrapbooking. And layouts I love. Like this one.

Hope you get to be playful!!

Supplies:
Cardstock - Bo Bunny
Paper - Welcome Home & Etc. (Bo Bunny) and Love Games (Glitz)
Buttons & trinkets - Welcome Home (Bo Bunny)
Flowers - Petaloo
Letters - Welcome Home (Bo Bunny) and Felt Alphabets (Prima)
Twine - Follow Your Heart (My Mind's Eye)
Bling - Etc. (Bo Bunny)
Doilies - Maya Road
Distress Ink - Vintage Photo & Walnut Stain (Tim Holtz)
Glimmer Mist - Sea Glass (Tattered Angels)
Pearl Pen - Bronze

2 comments:

  1. i really like this layout and love that you are willing to try things outside your comfort zone. Means you're brave and courageous! and adding the blue just means you're also true to your style! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. sitting beside you as you worked on this layout,it looked like you were having fun and there was no stressing involved.you did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete