Sunday, April 22, 2012

simplicity can be time consuming

Late into the first day at last weekend's scrapbooking retreat, I noticed that I was making really simple layouts. I'm not sure if I was being frugal with my embellishments or if I was keeping things simple because of the busy patterned papers I was using or if I was just into simplicity. The trend continued all weekend so there definitely was a theme.

Of course, simple layouts aren't always as simple as they look. And mine seemed to take forever.

The first of the simple layouts is called "Hosta Monsta", which I showed you on Friday. You can see that this one required a simple touch because of the Basic Grey paper. It still took me about three hours to complete. And I'm super happy with the results.

The next simple layout is called "hangin'" of my son hanging out at the cottage we rented last summer near Peterborough.
This one also took hours even though there's no misting, distressing and it's very linear. I love the title. I also like the orange circles, but I added a line of blue buttons and stamped round circles (which you can barely see in this picture) at the bottom to fill in that white space.

I also need to add journalling.

Here is another pretty simple layout originally called "Crazy Good." I added the title "Family Fun" on the right page because I had too much white space.
This layout was quite time consuming because of the inking. I used Tumbled Glass, which was too blue, so I added Seedless Preserves, which ended up being too purple so I went over that colour with Tumbled Glass and the colour was finally right.

I loved all of my supplies for this layout, but when I put them together at the retreat, they didn't seem to mesh that well. I'll be the first to admit that I like things to be more matchy-matchy, but I think the colours go really well with the "crazy good" feel of the pictures.

The last simple layout is a one-pager. I used to do one-page layouts all the time and then I switched to creating two-page layouts to accomodate the massive amount of photos I need to scrap. But I've always liked one-page layouts. This one is called "ma cousine" and it's pretty simple.
Distressing and inking seemed to take forever on this layout! I also had a hard time deciding on which embellishments to use. The colours are great and I'm super pleased with how this one turned out.

Looking at these layouts, I think they're super cute ! I had fun doing them and my kids think they're awesome. It's good to have a fan club...

Supplies -- hangin'
cardstock: Close to My Heart
patterned paper: Like Father Like Son (Fancy Pants)
buttons: Close to My Heart and my stash
ink: Sweet Leaf (Close to My Heart)
Distress Ink: Faded Jeans (Tim Holtz)
ribbon: my stash
stamp: Sentiments (Penny Black)
letters: corrugated alphas (Jillibean Soup)

Supplies -- crazy good family fun
cardstock: unknown
patterned paper: Creative Memories and unknown
flowers: unknown
Distress Ink: Tumbled Glass and Seedless Preserves (Tim Holtz)
ribbon: Bo Bunny
ric rac: unknown
letters: Bliss (Dear Lizzy + American Crafts)

Supplies - ma cousine
patterned paper and embellishments: Summer's End (Fancy Pants)
Distress Ink: Antique Linen (Tim Holtz)
ribbon: my stash
letters: Close to My Heart and unknown

2 comments:

  1. awesome as usual! you inspire me - i'm going to get some scrapping done this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's great that you are being more daring and not always playing it safe.why can't one do both?

    ReplyDelete