Friday, April 13, 2012

preparing for a retreat - layouts

I remember my first crop 8 years ago. I spent the entire time trying to figure out which papers and embellishments and composition I wanted for my layouts. I barely had time to scrap! Plus, I had paid to be at this crop!

I made myself a promise to never waste time like that again. Now, when I go to crops and retreats, I come with kits of the layouts I want to finish. Here's how I put a layout kit together.

1. pictures

For me, great scrapbooking starts with great pictures. Here, I have three great pictures of my daughter, Ellie, hiding in our big hostas. The minute I took the pictures I knew I had to scrap them and that the title of the layout would be "Hosta Monsta."

2. inspiration

I like to use sketches from PageMaps and now from the Close to My Heart books or a layout I see in a magazine as inspiration. Sometimes, I copy my inspiration. Sometimes, my inspiration is a source of inspiration. In either case, a sketch/layout allows me to focus my creativity on actual scrapbooking .

However, I don't have a sketch/layout for "Hosta Monsta." So I came up with my own.
My dad is a painter and teaches at Wallack's. I obviously didn't inherit his artistic talent. LOL!

3. paper

I love scrapbooking paper. I found an older Basic Grey collection called Sweet Threads and some Bo Bunny cardstock at Auntie Em's Scrapbooking last Saturday. They look kinda perfect for this layout, don't they?

4. let's get inky

The next step in building a kit for my "Hosta Monsta" layout is for me to think if I want to add ink, mists, glams, Stickles and stamps.

The Basic Grey paper is pretty busy so I don't want to add any stamping. I also don't want to add any glitter because I want to keep things pretty natural like the plant.

I think I might want to ink all of the edges in Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Bundled Sage. Inking like this adds dimension and creates a visual cue that ties everything together.
 I try to re-ink my distress inks before I go to a crop/retreat so they're nice and juicy.

5. title

"Hosta Monsta" is a pretty good title, if I do say so myself. I have a ton of chipboard, stickers, foam, felt, and corrugated cardstock letters, which sometimes makes it harder to choose which ones to use for a layout!

For "Hosta Monsta", I wanted to use white letters so they stand out.

6. embellies

I'm thinking white flowers would look great on this layout. It will be very, very difficult for me to resist painting these pink.
I'm bringing wood butterflies (which might turn pink), white buttons and a frilly green ribbon.

I may not use all of these embellishments, but I've given myself choices.

7. packing

The kit is now tucked away ready to go to the retreat.

8. cropping

When I get to a crop/retreat, I can unpack my supplies pretty quickly. And I can get to my layout kits and start scrapbooking immediately. Like I am in this picture.
Happiness really is scrapbooking. With the divas, of course.

9. voila!

Here is the final layout.
I'm really happy with how this turned out!

Now on to the next layout!!


2 comments:

  1. friggin awesome! You rock Natalie! May I share this blog on my Auntie EM's Scrapbooking fb page?
    please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. inspirational as always.I am a genius for requesting these blog subjects if i do say so myself!lol
    the layout turned out beautifully.it's nice to see the final product since this one has been in your head since last year!

    ReplyDelete