Friday, April 20, 2012

my favourite from the Nav Centre retreat

At every crop or retreat, there's always one layout that's my favourite. At the Nav Centre retreat last weekend, I completed (or semi-completed) seven layouts and I loved this one right when I started working on it.
I've used this sketch from PageMaps many times (see lang, reptile zoo, sand castle and explorer; the latter is on the same theme and includes many of the same pictures, but the layout is on my daughter's experience of the same event). I must love this sketch! LOL! In all seriousness, I love how different each layout based on this sketch turns out, especially in terms of colours and mood and techniques.

This layout includes many firsts for me. First, I used white as a base (and I can't remember when I did that last!) probably because I was inspired by the white buildings and I wanted my colourful paper to rest on a quite background. I like how the white works so well in this layout. Plus, it reminds of my friend Sylvie aka the Sunshine Diva who must add white to every layout. She wasn't at the retreat and I missed her. :-(

I also embraced a trend from CHA Summer 2011: a yellow and grey colour palette. I'm not a trendy scrapbooker by any means -- I just picked up this wonderful paper collection from Authentique. It's called "Blissful" and makes me happy. (Doesn't take much, I know.)

I also tried some very simple layering. And I used Glimmer Glaze for the first time.

The colour of the Glimmer Glaze is called Sassy Silver (love that name!) and was a gift from my friend Nathalie. I like how it has a tinge of grey and ties in so well with the Authentique paper.

Another first: I love my handwriting. I grudgingly accepted my handwriting years ago because it adds a personal touch to each layout. But looking at it up close in this picture, my handwriting looks kinda cool. Who knew?

I also made my own flowers.
My friend Kathleen showed me how to make these and gave me the brown brads too. I can't believe I made these!

I hope you enjoyed reading about this layout as much as I did scrapbooking these pages!

Supplies list:
cardstock: unknown
patterned paper: Blissful (Authentique)
buttons: Basic Grey and Close to My Heart
Glimmer Glaze: Sassy Silver (Tattered Angels)
die cut: Tattered Flowers (Tim Holtz)
Distress Ink: Antique Linen (Tim Holtz)
chipboard: Flower Doilies (Maya Road)
letters: Baked Brown Alphabeans (Jillibean Soup)

1 comments:

  1. Hehe I love those flowers! :)
    and that paper! :D

    ReplyDelete