Thursday, March 8, 2012

inspired

I am blessed to have some pretty talented scrapbookers that I can call friends (you don't want to know what they call me....LOL!). They inspire me every time I scrap with them and yet, as Diane (aka The Last Diva Standing) noted, our own styles always shine through. I think this is a sign of the strength of our friendship: we can have fun, we can inspire each other, we respect each other's creativity, and we have the freedom to be ourselves.

I am also inspired by scrapbooking superstars. These amazing designers often create masterpieces, which I admire from afar. Once in a while, I see a layout that captures my imagination and inspires me to push my boundaries.

This doesn't happen often. But it hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw Irene Tan's layout Family Blessings.
Family Blessings by Irene Tan aka Scrapperlicious
I love all of the details and the softness of her layout. It seemed like Irene Tan, who is known online as Scrappelicious, used Bo Bunny's Welcome Home collection and a lot of Prima. Her layout really captivated me and I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at reproducing it. This is my version.
Obviously, I can't photograph as good as Irene Tan can and I kept things a little more simple. I first took the patterned papers from Bo Bunny's Welcome Home collection and toned down the colours with Tim Holtz Picket Fence Distress Stain. This really worked well to soften the palette. The rub-ons and title are also from Bo Bunny and the big flowers flowers and bling are from Prima (the bling, twine and small flowers are from my stash). I distressed some of the papers and inked them in Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.

I love the fold in the paper. This close-up shows how the Picket Fence stain gave the paper a dreamy look.
The big Prima flowers were white and I misted them Nougat Glimmer Mist. Don't you love my faux stitching?
I hope Irene Tan likes it. I think I remained true to my own style, but her layout allowed me to try new techniques. I'm very happy with how this turned out and I especially love that great photo of my little Ellie.

1 comments:

  1. i love this layout!!i know you full of trepidation while you were working on it,and you decided to jump right in anyway,and wow,look how beautifully it turned out.Do you find it easier to try something new when w us?lol,i always think that if i don't like how something turned out,turn to my scrapbooking committee to make them work!

    ReplyDelete