Monday, February 20, 2012

march colour challenge - soft

I'm the first to admit that colour is not my strong point. If my scrapbooking supplies are not part of a collection, I tend to go with a monochromatic palette rather than risk a colourful disaster. My firend Diane Houle, aka the Last Diva Standing, mixes and matches collections, colours and styles and always creates crazy good scrapbooking projects. She scrapbooks with no fear and embraces risk, but she also has a good eye for colour.

I am trying to develop that eye (because an old dog CAN be taught new tricks). I bought a colour wheel last year and now have a love-hate relationship with that thing. I find it more paralyzing than inspirational.
Ah, colour wheel....how I hate-love you....

This year, I am trying to live by this list from Forbes, especially when it comes to stepping out of my comfort zone. So, I am trying to push my colour boundaries and hope you can join me for the ride.

I am challenging us to a colour challenge! And I'll be doing this every month based on the colour inspirations from the delightful blog CarrieLoves. You will smile every time you visit this blog with its hares of the day, colour inspirations, cocktail recipes and much more. A million thanks to Carrie for giving her blessing to this adventure.

The first colour challenge has a soft and pretty palette.
So the idea is to be inspired by this colour palette of sage, butter yellow, white, pinky beige, medium pink and raspberry.

This is what I created using most of these colours.

As you can see, I used the original colour palette as an inspiration and modified it a little. I love how this page on "the pink fury" is girly and the pop of raspberry is super cute. I've listed my supplies at the end of this post.

I plan to swap the pink for blue and make a layout for my son. Stay tuned!

If you want to join me and challenge your colour sensibilities, all you need to do is go for it. There are no prizes, but I would love to post your work here. Just send a picture of your completed layout or project to nataliehall123@gmail.com with any details you want to add (name or screen name, title of project, supplies, etc. etc.). I'll put up our projects at the end of March.

That seems like a long ways away, doesn't it? This is why I'll post a second challenge for March.

Supplies
Cardstock: American Crafts and Bazzill
Patterned Paper: Melody Ross
Ink: Cotton Candy (Close to My Heart) and Bundled Sage (Tim Holtz Distress Ink)
Mist: Maya Road Pearl Mist
Punches: EK Success, Martha Stewart and Creative Memories
Tape: FabScraps
Letters: Candy Shoppe - Lily White (Doodlebug)
Stamp: Affection (Close to My Heart)
Other: White Pearl Pen, Goosebumps, Creative Memories pink pen

Let's have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment