Tuesday, November 8, 2011

a christmas gift

I scrapbook to capture my family's memories, which means all of my layouts are about my kids. When I'm long gone, I hope my kids and future grandkids don't throw my books into a landfill. Seriously.

I don't usually give scrapbooking projects as gifts. I think most people don't value these as much as I do (hello landfill!). However, when I saw the 7gypsies shadow box, I had to make something special. I immediately thought my dad, who is a certified Bob Ross painting instructor, would love one with pictures of the family.

I found five great pictures of my dad with his wife, my kids and his dad who passed away this year at the grand age of 92. I don't love vintage because it's hard to use with my kids' layouts, but Bo Bunny's Etc. collection was perfect for this project.
I love the final product. I have to admit that it didn't take long to put this together mainly because I'd been thinking about this project for weeks. I knew I would use the title "love" and glue the letters to the frame. I found these wonderful Wood Chip letters by Pink Paislee, inked them with Gathered Twig Distress Ink (Tim Holtz ), and sprayed them with Nougat Glimmer Mist.
I also wanted to add some blue to this project because it is my dad's favourite colour. I also wanted to spice up the monochromatic palette a little. I had white flowers which I inked with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink (Tim Holtz) and sprayed with Nougat Glimmer Mist. The Scrapbooking Divas helped me pick a shade of blue that matched the blue in the Etc. collection. I love scrapbooking by committee! I also added some cute copper brads from Close to My Heart.
Although I love flowers, I changed it up a bit for some frames and used some of Tim Holtz Grungeboard inked with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink and sprayed with Nougat Glimmer Mist. Love this key and the jewels from the Etc. collection.
Vicki Boutin made some great Christmas cards using two of my favourite things: Little Yellow Bicycle and twine. One of her cards had a super cute heart made of twine. I copied the idea here using Doodlebug's brown twine and the copper Close to My Heart brad. I added some more flowers and "2011" to the heart (numbers from the Etc. collection). I love this.
I'm happy with the final product. Hope my dad will love it!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job Natalie! I hope your Dad doesn't read your blog before he gets it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure he will. It's very nice

    ReplyDelete