Tuesday, October 18, 2011

these hands

My hands are looking older than I am. I guess it was inevitable. These hands have been writing since I could write. All my doodles were words or bits of poetry and, as a child, I devoured books and couldn't write enough.

Stories have always been part of my life and I come from a long line of storytellers. When my grandmother pulled out a photo album, it was fun, but when my grandfather took out an album, it was special. Every photograph had a detailed story full of emotions. I could listen to him for hours. My father can also talk up a storm and I have inherited my gift of gab from both of them. My kids are pretty chatty too.

It didn't take me long to get into photography and, as a teenager, I loved taking pictures of my family and friends and seeing the story behind each photograph. After getting married (one of our wedding gifts was a camera...), he came along.
That's my son Kevin in 2003. It took less than a year to take more than 1,000 pictures of my new little family.

When a friend proposed scrapbooking would be an ideal solution to get my pictures out of my computer, my first thought was: NO WAY. There was no way I could scrapbook with these non-designing hands. But after a bit of convincing, I realized that scrapbooking allowed me to capture all of those little moments in Kevin's first year by telling his story and mine through pictures and words.

That was in 2004. My scrapbooking has changed so much since then, especially when she came along.
That's my pretty little girl Ellie. She's five now and still cute. And feisty.

I still don't consider myself very crafty. It seems that the ideas in my head (and, on rare days, there are a few) don't always make it to my hands.

I hope you enjoy this blog and I look forward to taking this scrapbooking journey with you.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your entry, and those are beautiful pictures. Keep scrapping and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I love Ellie's expression seems she started young on the expressions. :)

    ReplyDelete